Monday, February 13, 2012

Time Bandits dir. Terry Gilliam



What a baffling plot, I thought as I watched the end credits roll to a pleasant song after what had to be one of the most dramatic endings to a kid's movie. I found the t.v. show to be quite hilarious, about answering the questions or the penalty was death. It was a pretty accurate foreshadowing as to what was to be expected from the rest of the movie. This movie didn't take itself too seriously, especially since the intended audience is for a younger crowd. The boy's love for history was reflected in jumbled up time periods, meshing fantasy into reality until the scenery became completely random. And by the end of the film we see that it was all a part of God, or the creator of the universe, plan. It was just a test and the boy was just a pawn. This movie showed no mercy.


The low budget effects didn't bother me, I can look past that if there is a good story to be told. I am a devout fan to the genre of time-travel, and I love it in all different forms of media; books, games, t.v. shows and movies. The chance to look at the events of history, not altering them of course because you can't truly change the past... but just to be a fly on the wall would be enough. So while I enjoyed the ride of time travel in this movie, I did not see any true plot. There were no morals for the boy to learn, since he was a decent enough kid who liked history. He doesn't even get a reward after the whole quest, except maybe the memories of that crazy experience. I mean really, a kid gets swept on a great adventure and comes back home and a minute later becomes an orphan. Reality bites. And Sean Connery just left him there all alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment