Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

     This was my first time reading any of Tolkien's works and I've only watched bits and pieces of Peter Jackson's film adaptations of the series. I am a big fan of fantasy, mainly reading urban fantasy tales such as those by Neil Gaiman, but I was really fascinated by "The Hobbit."
The part where the journey really began for me was when Bilbo was separated from the group in the mountains. We get some time to be alone with Bilbo and see what he is truly capable of without anybody's assistance. Bilbo's encounter with Gollum displayed his swift thinking and was a clear indication that he would demonstrate his wit more throughout the story. At first, Bilbo came off as an annoying character, always complaining about not having any food, but he soon proves to be the most essential member of the traveling group.

     I enjoy the fact that Bilbo does not fit the stereotypical idea of a hero. He is not brave,  not clad in shining armor, and is not searching  for a damsel. Although there is a dragon involved, Bilbo is not the one destined to slay it. Instead Bilbo is small in stature, employs wit instead of brawn, and most of the time is in a dreadful mood about his situation. Bilbo, at the age of fifty, was already set in his ways in his comfortable little hobbit hole until he was forcefully urged to go on this quest. In one respect, this reflects the fact that even though adventure seems like a wondrous idea, we are sometimes unwilling to make that first step outside of our comfort zone. The character, Gandalf, felt like a guardian angel for the for the dwarfs and Bilbo. The wizard conveniently appeared in times of need and was their constant source of guidance on the quest.  I loved how practical their journey was, with the group consistently running low on food. Such a small detail is overlooked in other fantasy stories I've read. In other tales it is assumed that they can travel without the troubles of hunger, but this addition made Tolkien's story feel believable. I'd always get hungry while reading these passages.

     I can see why there is such a strong attraction to the atmosphere of Tolkein's Middle Earth. Even with all the perils that the protagonist encounters, he is always able to escape in the end. That aspect, combined with the presence of magic and creatures makes this world so appealing. I guess I was  adamant to read this series because of its popularity and huge following.  I am kicking myself now for not reading this series. I rarely read "traditional" fantasy, since I assumed that I knew exactly what plot format to expect; a hero goes off to save a princess in some castle. I have never been so grateful to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment